Prep 15 mins
Cook 6 hrs
Tasty, hearty sausage and mushroom bake. Great for those cold winter nights. Also if you omit the chilli it would be an excellent breakfast to wake up to. The original recipe uses beef sausages, I prefer chicken but it's personal taste. And I normally don't even skin the sausages.
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 1 onion, sliced
- 450 g potatoes, thinly sliced
- 450 g sausages, skinned and halved
- 1 (450 g) can baked beans
- 200 g button mushrooms, halved
- 1 -2 teaspoon chili powder (or to personal taste)
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 2⁄3 cup water
- salt and pepper, to personal taste
- Heat oil in large skillet and saute onion and potatoes gently for 5 minutes.
- Add the remaining ingredients, season with salt and pepper and bring to the boil.
- Transfer to crock pot.
- Cook on low for 6- 10 hours until sausages and potatoes are cooked through (time really depends on your crock pot).
I doubled the sausage and used half sweet Italian sausage and half smoked turkey sausage. I also used 6 oz. of fresh sliced mushrooms. I didn't have baked beans on hand so substituted a can of navy beans, 1/4 c. ketchup and 3 Tbsp. brown sugar, and used 1 tsp. of chili powder. This was mild enough for the kids and it was quite tasty. Thanks for a keeper ... it's great to be able to wake up to breakfast all ready to eat!
We really enjoyed this meal, simple to make and I liked the combination of sausage, potatoes, mushrooms and baked beans. Took less time to cook than noted, it was done in about 5 1/2 hours, but I did cut my potatoes pretty thin. I also used a "lite" beef sausage and it worked well.
I used a mixture of chicken & beef sausages & diced the potatoes instead of slicing. I wanted it saucy so added a can of tomato soup as well & left out the chilli to cater for my 20 month old. This was a nice simple dish to put together and one I'm sure to make again. Thanks!