1/1 Photo of Crock Pot Sausage and Barley Jambalaya
8 hrs 10 mins
Barley is a dense and chewy grain, it is both nutritious and satisfying. I love barley and it is my comfort food. This flavorful mixture makes a great weeknight dinner or a terrific dish for a Friday night potluck with friends. Add a tossed salad, crusty country style bread, some robust wine and enjoy.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 lb Italian sausage (mild or 1 lb hot removed from casing)
- 2 onions, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 long red chilies or 1 jalapeno pepper, finely chopped
- 2 teaspoons cajun seasoning (see Tips, below)
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano leaves
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon cracked black peppercorns
- 1 cup pearl barley, thoroughly rinsed under cold running water
- 1 (28 ounce) can tomatoes with juice, coarsely chopped (28 oz/796 mL)
- 3 cups chicken stock
- 8 ounces medium shrimp, cooked, peeled and deveined
- 1 roasted red pepper, finely chopped (see Tips, below)
- 1In a nonstick skillet, cook sausage over medium high heat, breaking up with a spoon, until no longer pink. Using a slotted spoon, transfer to slow cooker stoneware. Drain all but 1 tablespoons fat from pan. Reduce heat to medium.
- 2Add onions to pan and cook, stirring, until softened. Add garlic, chili pepper, Cajun seasoning, oregano, salt and peppercorns and cook, stirring, for 1 minute. Add barley and stir well. Add tomatoes and chicken stock and bring to a boil.
- 3Pour mixture over sausage and stir. Cover and cook on LOW for 6 to 8 hours or on HIGH for 3 to 4 hours. Add shrimp and roasted pepper. Cover and cook on HIGH for 20 minutes, until shrimp is heated through.
- 5If you don’t have a fresh chili pepper, stir in hot pepper sauce to taste, after the jambalaya is cooked.
- 6Cajun seasoning is available in many supermarkets and specialty food store. If you can’t find it, substitute 1 teaspoons EACH dried thyme leaves and paprika to this recipe.
- 7To roast peppers: Preheat oven to 400°F Place peppers on a baking sheet and roast, turning two or three times, until the skin on all sides is blackened. (This will take about 25 minutes.) Transfer peppers to a heatproof bowl. Cover with a plate and let stand until cool. Remove and, using a sharp knife, lift off skins. Discard skins and slice according to recipe instructions.
- 8TO MAKE AHEAD: This dish can be partially prepared the night before it is cooked. Complete Steps 1 and 2, chilling the cooked sausage and tomato barley mixtures separately. Refrigerate overnight. The next morning, continue with Step 3.
- 9Delicious & Dependable Slow Cooker Recipes.
Browse Our Top Stew Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Crock Pot Sausage and Barley Jambalaya
Serving Size: 1 (479 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 490.9
- Calories from Fat 208
- Total Fat 23.1 g
- Saturated Fat 7.8 g
- Cholesterol 94.7 mg
- Sodium 1882.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 43.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 7.5 g
- Sugars 7.9 g
- Protein 27.6 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
roasted red peppers