Recipe by Julesong
Feeding a bunch of people at a potluck? Like sauerkraut and sausage? Then you'll like this one. :) It feeds a lot of people, so make sure you've got a *large* crock pot (or put it in two smaller ones)...
- 1 quart vinegar-pickled sauerkraut, drained and rinsed well
- 1⁄2 lb bacon, cut into small pieces
- 1 granny smith apple, cored and cubed
- 1 ripe pears or 1 an additional apple, cored and cubed
- 1⁄2 cup chopped onion
- 2 stalks celery, chopped
- 3 lbs smoked sausage, cut into 1/2 inch pieces
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 3 tablespoons dark brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 12 ounces hard alcoholic cider
- salt & freshly ground black pepper, to taste
Directions See How It's Made
- In a colander over the sink, drain then rinse the sauerkraut well with cool water, allow to drain for 5 to 10 minutes; repeat at least once.
- While sauerkraut is draining, cut the bacon into small pieces then in a large pan over medium heat, fry bacon until crisp.
- While bacon is cooking, cut up the apple (s), pear (if using), onion, celery, and sausage.
- When the bacon is done, remove the cooked bacon from the pan and set aside; add olive oil and butter to bacon drippings and let butter melt.
- Sprinkle the flour into the dripping mixture while stirring and cook until golden and bubbly, then add the brown sugar, garlic, and Dijon and cook for another minute, then gradually stir in the hard cider and cook- seasoning to taste with salt and pepper- until the sauce thickens, about 5 to 7 minutes.
- Combine all prepared ingredients- drained/rinsed sauerkraut, chopped fruits/vegetables, bacon, sausage, and sauce- in a large crock pot (or 2 smaller ones) and cook on high for 4 hours or low for 6 to 8 hours.
- This makes a very large batch, serving about 16 to 18 people as a main dish- good for big potlucks!