Prep 15 mins
Cook 8 hrs
This is great! I like to serve this with mashed potatoes. It is also great with noodles, spaetzle or boiled new potatoes. If you have any leftovers, you can make open-faced pork sandwiches with the meat and sauerkraut.
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can sauerkraut, rinsed and drained (with caraway seeds)
- 1 (2 1/2 lb) boneless pork shoulder
- ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons dijon-style mustard
- 1 cup beer
- Place sauerkraut in a 3-1/2 to 4 quart crock pot. Trim fat from meat. If need be, trim the meat to fit in crock pot.
- Lightly sprinkle meat with salt and pepper. Spread mustard over meat and place the meat on top of the sauerkraut. Pour beer over the meat.
- Cover and cook on low heat setting for 8 to 10 hours or on high for 4 to 5 hours.
- Transfer meat to cutting board. Cool slightly. Slice meat, discarding fat, and serve.
What a disappointment this was - followed the recipe to a tea and it was bland, bland, bland - do not waste a pork roast on this recipe. Take my word for it - awful
This was amazing! I ended up getting caught up in stuff with the kids ( pre-k and toddler age! ) and chores then by noon remembered of crap dinner! So it didn't get to cook as long but i did the on high option for 4 hours and it was still delicious! My husband is the cook in the house but i've taken over week day meals so he doesn't have to after work and he loved it! Also we lived in Germany for 3 years and this was like being there again, totally tastes German <3 Especially served over creamy mashed potatoes! yum yum! <br/><br/>Substitutions:<br/><br/>Yellow mustard because I realized i had no Dijon and didn't feel like dragging my kids to the store for just that but still tasted great!<br/><br/>didn't rinse sauerkraut, and added caraway seeds evening but generously
Yum, yum yum! And so easy! I used a huge roast and about a quart of homemade kraut. Also a full can of beer. It made a ton of liquid that could be made into gravy or pulled pork. This was so good as made though. I ended up leaving it for almost 12 hours on low and it was fine.