Prep 10 mins
Cook 6 hrs
I found this in a Cooking Light slow cooker book at Barnes and Nobles $1.99 table. I am always on the look out for easy recipes I can do at the firehouse to feed hungry guys for a reasonable price. I put this on in the morning and by 6 pm I add a salad to the meal. Done! The guys at work loved it.
- 3 lbs skinless chicken thighs (or breasts will work too)
- 1 (14 ounce) can Italian-style diced tomatoes, undrained. (I look for the one with the lowest sodium)
- 1 (6 ounce) can tomato paste (same here on the low sodium)
- 1 medium chopped white onion
- 1 tablespoon bottled minced garlic (I used 4 cloves through a press)
- 1 teaspoon dried Italian seasoning
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- Place chicken in 4 quart crock pot.
- Combine tomatoes and next 6 ingredients.
- Stir well.
- Pour sauce over chicken.
- Cover and cook on high for 1 hour then reduce heat to low and continue to cook for 4-5 hours or until chicken is tender.
- Serve with bread, pasta, or a green salad.
This was a easy and delicious meal! I used chicken breasts instead of thighs, only because that is what I had on hand. My Dh said it's a definite remake!! Thanks for posting this!
I revised this recipe somewhat by browning the chicken thighs before putting them in the slow cooker (use diced tomatoes that are pure tomatoes -- no added salt or sugar). It did triple the prep time. At the one hour mark, I also added artichokes and sliced mushrooms, cooked for 4.5 more hours on low and then served it over eggplant squash that was shredded. Delicious, healthy and very low calorie! It's also Paleo friendly.
I served this with rice tonight and the kids just loved it. I used fresh garlic to make mine and will cut the amount down to half the next time I make this. This is going into my Encore cookbook. Made for THE ALL YOU CAN COOK BUFFET - Winter Special Event