Prep 15 mins
Cook 6 hrs
This is an easily prepared dish for a week night meal. Purists who scoff at the occasional use of a can opener need read no further. To those who appreciate the assistance that canned beans and broth can give a recipe, I say: "Bon appetit."
- 1 (14 ounce) can fat-free chicken broth
- 1 (15 ounce) can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 (15 ounce) can diced tomatoes with mild green chilies
- 1 cup frozen corn
- 1⁄4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 3 scallions, chopped
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cayenne pepper (to taste)
- 2 lbs boneless skinless chicken breasts
- hot cooked rice
- Combine all ingredients except salt, chicken and rice in a 3 1/2 to 5 quart slow cooker.
- Season chicken with salt and lay on top of other ingredients.
- Cover and cook on low for 10 hours or on high for six hours.
- Half an hour before serving, remove chicken and shred with two forks.
- Return chicken to slow cooker and stir into other ingredients.
- Adjust salt and seasoning.
- Serve over rice with a tossed green salad.