Prep 10 mins
Cook 4 hrs
This was a throw-together dish that resulted from defrosted meat, no fresh veggies, and a deep desire to break out my crock pot. The meat was falling apart tender (enough so that my 14 month old could eat it with no problems) and the juice was perfect over mashed potatoes. I'm sure you could use more steaks that what I did for the amount of juice, but this is typed out just as I made it.
- Press garlic cloves into the crock pot using garlic press, or finely mince using another method, adding juice and pulp to the crock. For the beginner cook, 1 Tbs of dry minced garlic can be substituted.
- Add all other ingredients to the crock except steaks.
- Whisk together until well blended and tomato paste is no longer clumpy.
- Submerge steaks in sauce.
- Cover and simmer 4-5 hours on HIGH.
This was delicious! The meat was so tender and flavorful. I did make a few adjustments; I added 2 tbsp. beef bouillon and reduced the vinegar to one tbsp of red wine vinegar My DH had his in a tortilla, I had mine over brown rice. The juice was great on the rice! Thanks for posting, made for Spring PAC 2013
This was a good recipe. The meat is very tender and basically shreds itself when you take it out of the crockpot. I did this as a meal kit for oamc day. I froze the steaks in one bag and the salsa, tomato paste, garlic and vinegar in another. Then I partially thawed and add it all to the crockpot with the water. Worked very well. I think it would benefit from adding beef broth instead of water. Give it a little more depth of flavor. We rolled it up in tortillas with some rice and it was very tasty. Thanks for sharing the recipe!