Prep 15 mins
Cook 8 hrs
This chicken is so tender that it falls right off of the bones! Herbes de Provence is a wonderful spice to use on poultry, fish, and veggies (even potatoes). This chicken can also be roasted in the oven, but I prefer it cooked in the crock pot -it is more tender and flavorful when it is slow-cooked. Feel free to throw some additional veggies into the crock pot for a complete meal! Another recipe from a Suzanne Somers' cookbook (and then modified by me to cook in a crock pot).
- 5 lbs whole chickens
- 2 medium onions, chopped roughly
- 2 parsnips, chopped roughly
- 3 tablespoons herbes de provence
- salt and pepper
- 1⁄4 cup chicken broth
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- Clean and dry chicken, after removing giblets.
- Rub entire chicken with olive oil, then season with salt and pepper, and Herebes de Provence, by rubbing spices over entire chicken.
- Place one chopped onion inside the cavity of the chicken.
- Place chicken in crock pot.
- Throw remaining onions and parsnips around chicken in crock pot.
- Pour chicken both over chicken and veggies.
- Cook on low for 7-9 hours (crock pot cooking times vary, so cook for less time, if you notice that your crock pot cooks faster than most).
"Cut food into chunks or small pieces to ensure thorough cooking. Do not use the slow cooker for large pieces like a roast or a whole chicken because the food will cook so slowly it could remain in the bacterial "Danger Zone" â€” between 40 Â°F and 140 Â°F â€” too long." http://www.fsis.usda.gov/News_&_Events/NR_013106_01/index.asp
This smelled wonderful and was very tasty. I could not find parsnips so I used baby carrots and added a few fingerling potatoes which I happen to have on hand. Will make this again.
This was a great chicken dinner! My husband and I both thought it was very good. I used a little more chicken broth than the recipe called for and put a couple pats of butter on the chicken's breast area, just to ensure moistness, and it worked! Fall off the bone, moist, yummy chicken. I served with butter mashed potatoes and roasted asparagus with hollandaise sauce! Yum!