Prep 15 mins
Cook 7 hrs
I have done this recipe in the oven and slow cooker. It has a wonderful fragrant smell as you come through the door.
- Clean and dry the chicken.
- Starting at the neck cavity, carefully loosen skin from the breast with you fingers.
- Insert 2-3 garlic pieces and 2 springs of rosemary under the breast skin at the edge of the wings.
- Continue pulling skin and insert 2 rosemary sprigs and 2 garlic pieces under drumstick skin.
- Make a small slit in skin on each wing.
- Insert a garlic piece and a rosemary sprig into each.
- Insert 2 garlic pieces and 2 rosemary sprigs in body cavity, then tie the legs together Place the chicken, breast down in a large slow cooker.
- Cover and cook on low 6-7 hours or until juices are clear when thick part of chicken is pierced with a knife. Remove chicken from slow cooker and discard garlic and rosemary.
- Cut chicken and serve.
My husband and I eat low-carb and this was just perfect! Delicious...smelt fabulous...meat just fell off the bones. Thanks for a great recipe.
DH will not touch a whole chicken that's been cooked in the cookpot because it's not browned, but I have made this dish and used the deboned meat (chopped, frozen in portions) for wonderful chicken salads, pot pies, chicken & dumplings, casseroles & soups. I also put the bones back into the crock after deboning the bird and add onion, celery, carrots, parsley and water to make the best chicken stock as the previous poster suggested. I raise chickens so I now have a supply of wonderful meat and stock in my freezer at all times. Thanks Tish for the wonderful recipe and also thanks to Sylie for the brilliant stock idea.
I used herbes de Provence instead of fresh rosemary, but otherwise followed the recipe. I also popped the bird under the broiler when it was done in the crockpot to crisp up the skin.I used the leftover juices to make stock and my kitchen still smells delicious. Thanks for a simple, delicious way to prepare chicken.