Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
The final product is a tender, fall of the bone chicken. This is a good summer recipe, when you don't want to heat the house by using an oven.
Fresh Bread Stuffing
- 2 tablespoons hard margarine or 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1⁄2 cup chopped celery
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 teaspoon dried parsley flakes
- 1⁄4-1⁄2 teaspoon poultry seasoning (or to your own taste)
- 4 cups day old bread, cubes
- 3 1⁄2 lbs roasting chickens
- 2 teaspoons liquid gravy browner
- Stuffing: Melt butter or margarine in frying pan.
- Add onion and celery.
- Saute until soft.
- Remove from heat.
- Mix in salt, pepper, parsley, and poultry seasoning.
- Add bread cubes.
- Toss well.
- Wrap mixture in foil, leaving an opening at the top.
- Chicken: Brush chicken with gravy browner, this is a must.
- Place in 5-quart slow cooker.
- Place foil pouch over chicken legs.
- Cover slow cooker.
- Cook on LOW for 8-9 hours or on HIGH for 4-4 1/2 hours.
- Make gravy with juice from chicken if desired.
- Stir stuffing before serving.