9 hrs 15 mins
Although it's a bit cumbersome, it is best to brown the chicken first, not only for eye appeal but because it releases some flavorful fat in which to soften the shallots and enrich the cooking liquid. While not absolutely necessary, the addition of brandy enhances the rich cream sauce that makes a superb accompaniment to simple boiled potatoes with parsley, mashed potatoes or plain steamed rice. LARGE (MINIMUM 5 QUART) OVAL SLOW COOKER
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 (3 -6 lb) roasting chickens
- 2 slices lemons, about 1/2 inch thick
- 1 teaspoon dried tarragon or 2 sprigs fresh tarragon
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 2 tablespoons brandy (optional)
- 3 tablespoons finely chopped shallots
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 cup dry white wine
- 1/2 cup condensed chicken broth (undiluted)
- 1Rinse chicken inside and out and pat dry.
- 2Place lemon slices inside cavity along with tarragon and truss chicken loosely.
- 3(See Tip) In a skillet, heat oil over medium high heat.
- 4Brown chicken on all sides, using two wooden spoons to turn the bird so you don't puncture the skin, finishing with the breast side up.
- 5Turn off heat and pour brandy, if using, over chicken.
- 6Ignite and, when flames subside, transfer chicken to slow cooker stoneware.
- 7Drain off all but 1 tablespoons.
- 8fat in pan.
- 9Over medium heat, cook shallots until soft.
- 10Season with salt and pepper.
- 11Add wine and chicken broth and bring to a boil.
- 12Cook until sauce is reduced by about one third, about 5 minutes.
- 13Pour over chicken, cover and cook on Low for 7 to 9 hours or on High for 3 1/2 to 4 1/2 hours, until juices run clear when pierced with a fork or a meat thermometer inserted in the thickest part of the thigh reads 170°F.
- 14Carefully lift chicken from liquid, transfer to a large heatproof platter and keep warm while you make the sauce.
- 15TO MAKE TARRAGON-CREAM SAUCE: Pour cooking liquid into a 4-cup heatproof measure and place in the freezer for a few minutes until the fat rises to the surface.
- 16Skim off as much fat as possible.
- 17Transfer remaining liquid to a saucepan and, over high heat, boil rapidly until sauce is reduced by half.
- 18Stir in tarragon and cream and season to taste with salt and pepper.
- 19Serve in a sauce boat alongside carved chicken.
- 20TIP: I suggest trussing the chicken loosely for ease of browning and lifting.
- 21However, it is important to keep the string loose or the inner part of the thigh, which is less exposed to heat, will not cook properly.
- 22The 150 Best Slow Cooker Recipes.
- 23J Finlayson.
Browse Our Top Chicken Breast Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Chicken Breast Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Crock Pot Roast Chicken in Tarragon Cream Sauce
Serving Size: 1 (227 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 663.4
- Calories from Fat 449
- Total Fat 49.9 g
- Saturated Fat 17.4 g
- Cholesterol 201.4 mg
- Sodium 943.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 6.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.5 g
- Sugars 0.5 g
- Protein 41.1 g