Recipe by Mille®
Another kitchen heat-saver for the dog days of summer. Can you say "Tender and fall-apart delicious", boys and girls?
Top Review by Missy Wright
I must say the chicken was amazing. It fell right off the bones. The stuffing did not turn out so great though. I suggest removing all the fat and probably the skin and perhaps use a little less liquid. My stuffing turned out the consistancy of soup and it was greasy. I followed the recipe to a 't'. I plan on trying it again with my suggestions and I will get back to you.
- 3 1⁄2 lbs fryer chickens or 3 1⁄2 lbs whole roasting chickens
- 1⁄4 cup unsalted butter
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 3 stalks celery, chopped
- 1 (4 ounce) can sliced mushrooms, drained
- 4 cups seasoned stuffing mix
- 2 tablespoons dried parsley flakes
- 1⁄2 teaspoon sage
- 1 dash fresh ground pepper
- 4 -8 fluid ounces chicken broth or 4 -8 fluid ounces water
- 1 teaspoon unsalted butter
- additional dried parsley flakes
Directions See How It's Made
- Rinse the chicken well and pat dry; remove any excess fat.
- In a skillet, melt ¼ cup butter; sauté the onion, celery, and mushrooms until tender.
- Toss in the stuffing mix, 2 tablespoons parsley flakes, sage, pepper and broth.
- Stir until the stuffing is thoroughly moistened.
- Loosely stuff the chicken with the dressing.
- If you like, truss the chicken to keep its shape.
- Put the remaining dressing in a lightly oiled crock pot.
- Place the chicken on top of the dressing.
- Rub the chicken breast with 1 teaspoon butter; sprinkle with paprika and parsley flakes.
- Cover and cook on low setting for 8 to 10 hours.