8 hrs 20 mins
Oh-So-Tender Roast with a delicious broth mixture that can be served "au jus" or thickened for a luscious, hearty gravy. Add carrots and potatoes (optional), and you have a one-dish meal that cooks unattended. The sliced roast makes tasty Roast Beef au Jus Sandwiches. For a second meal, make stew or soup from the leftover roast, carrots, potatoes, and gravy...perhaps adding a little wine or water if needed to get the perfect consistency.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 3 lbs lean beef roast or 3 lbs venison roast
- 1 (10 1/2 ounce) can 94% fat-free cream of mushroom soup, undiluted
- 1 cup cabernet sauvignon wine or 1 cup dry red wine
- 2 tablespoons very low-sodium beef bouillon granules
- 3 fresh garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon italian seasoning
- 2 teaspoons thyme leaves
- 1 tablespoon liquid hot pepper sauce or 1 tablespoon Tabasco sauce
- 1 large onion, diced
- 1 (8 ounce) can sliced mushrooms, drained
- 6 large potatoes, quartered (optional)
- 8 carrots, peeled and cut into 4 inch long pieces (optional)
- 3 -4 tablespoons cornstarch (optional)
- 1/4 cup water (optional)
- 1In crock pot, add soup, wine, bouillon granules, garlic, onion, mushrooms, hot sauce, and seasonings.
- 2Stir to mix well.
- 3Add roast.
- 4Turn crock pot on high and cook 4-6 hours or until meat is just tender.
- 5Serve with optional gravy, carrots and potatoes or cooked noodles or rice.
- 6OPTIONAL POTATOES AND CARROTS: In pot of water, boil potatoes and carrots about 15 minutes until almost done, but still very firm.
- 7Drain; add veggies to crock pot.
- 8Cook an additional 1-2 hours until roast and veggies are very tender.
- 9OPTIONAL THICKENED GRAVY: Remove veggies and roast from crock pot and place in covered dish to keep them warm while you make the gravy.
- 10Make a slurry by mixing cornstarch and water until no lumps remain. (Using cold water a little at a time will help you avoid lumps.).
- 11Use Method 1 OR 2 to thicken the gravy.
- 12Gravy Method 1: With crock pot on High, bring broth to a boil.
- 13Pour in the cornstarch slurry and stir to mix.
- 14Cover and bring liquid back to boil and boil until thickened, about 1 minute.
- 15Gravy Method 2: Pour broth mixture from crock pot into a saucepan.
- 16Bring broth to boil and stir in cornstarch slurry.
- 17Return to boil, boiling about 1 minute until broth mixture is thickened.
Browse Our Top One-Dish Meal Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All One-Dish Meal Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Crock Pot Roast Beef or Venison
Serving Size: 1 (423 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 12
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 177.9
- Calories from Fat 47
- Total Fat 5.2 g
- Saturated Fat 1.9 g
- Cholesterol 75.8 mg
- Sodium 211.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 4.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.6 g
- Sugars 0.9 g
- Protein 25.5 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
low-sodium beef bouillon granules