Prep 24 hrs
Cook 8 hrs
Prep time includes over night soaking of beans
- 16 ounces dry pinto beans
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 -3 bay leaves
- 1⁄2 lb sliced bacon
- The night before you want to cook the beans.
- Rinse beans several times in warm water.
- Put them in a large pot.
- Cover with cold water up to 2-3 inches above beans.
- Let set over night.
- Drain and rinse beans.
- Layer bacon strips on bottom of crock pot.
- Top with remaining ingredients and beans.
- Cover with water about 1 inch or so above beans.
- Add remaining ingredients to pot.
- Turn on and cook all day until beans are tender.
- Bacon will float to the top but that's ok.
- Remove bay leaves.
- Mash beans with potato masher.
- As mashed as you like them.
- I mash the bacon up with the beans but you can remove it.
- I like to leave it with some whole beans too.
- You can re-cook these in a non stick skillet.
- Serve with grated cheese and chopped green onions.
- Or anything else that you like to go with your beans.
These came out so good! i add a little bit of sour cream and into a tortilla! delicious!
I didn't think this recipe was great at all. very tasteless. :(