Prep 30 mins
Cook 21 hrs
Much better than canned and a lot more healthy because there is no preservatives.
Make and share this Crock Pot Refried Beans recipe from Food.com.
- Sort and rinse beans, add to crockpot, cover with 6 cups of water and soak overnight.
- Remove water from the crockpot and rinse beans.
- Add 6 cups of water and salt.
- Cover and cook at least 10 hours.
- Remove liquid and save for later.
- Move beans to a bowl.
- Sauté onions and garlic in oil over medium heat until tender, then add to blender along with chilies and cumin.
- Blend until smooth.
- Add about 2 cups of the cooked beans to blender and blend until smooth.
- Pour into crock pot.
- repeat until all of the beans have been blended and added to the crockpot.
- Stir well and add liquid from cooking the beans into the crockpot about 1 cup at a time until the beans are the consistency that you like, I usually do about 2 cups.
- Cook on high for about 30 minutes.
- Stir and enjoy.
Can't get any easier or tastier than this. I did add some cayenne powder and chili powder to suit my taste, and left 1 cup of beans whole to add texture, but I have no doubt the recipe is flavorful as written. This is my new refried bean recipe. Next time I will try with black beans to add even more nutritional value. Thanks for posting.
Totally awesome beans-very flavorful and just the right texture after processing. I cooked these on high for 5 hours until I went to bed and then on low overnight. They were perfect. I won't change a thing next time. I didn't miss the fat found in canned refried beans a bit. I used just enough olive oil to prevent the onions from sticking.