Recipe by Bergy
The chicken comes out lovely & tender, the bone in adds flavor. You may substitute Pork Country style ribs for the chicken. If you wish you may brown the thighs before adding to the pot. I say the chili flakes are optional but taste the mixture after 1 hour and then add as much chili flakes to meet the heat that you like. I like close to 2 tsps but it is up to you.
Top Review by justcallmetoni
The combination of ingredients was a little off the beaten path and that was caught my interest during the Craze-E crock-pot contest. Why not, I liked the components individually. I'm so glad I took the leap as the combination won me over. I used frozen corn and otherwise followed the recipe. The crunchiness from the water chestnuts was such a nice addition to the dish as crock pot recipes so often lack that texture. It reminded me of jicama in that sense. The flavors were so good a combination of chili and vegetable stew. Thanks Bergy!
- 538.64 g can black beans, rinsed
- 227 ml can sliced water chestnuts
- 198.44 g can corn kernels
- 3 leeks, cleaned, white part only, sliced
- 177.44 ml onion, sweet, chopped
- 6 garlic cloves, crushed
- 473.18 ml carrots, sliced
- 283.49 g can Rotel tomatoes & chilies
- 1 jalapeno pepper, seeds & membrane removed, finely chopped
- 8 skinless chicken thighs, bone in
- 4.92 ml oregano, dried
- 7.39 ml chili flakes (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Layer half the black beans, water chestnuts, corn, leeks,.
- onions, carrots, jalapeno, garlic & tomatoes.
- Sprinkle with the Oregano & chili flakes.
- Place the thighs on top & repeat layers ending with the last.
- half of the tomatoes on top.
- Turn Crock Pot to low and cook for 6 hours.
- That's all there is to it Hope you enjoy it!