Prep 25 mins
Cook 8 hrs
Making this recipe in the slow cooker eliminates the traditional tasks of pounding the meat and watching the frying pan. It also produces melt in your mouth results. The rich, spicy pan gravy served over mashed potatoes is a marriage made in heaven. To turn up the heat, increase the quantity of jalapeno pepper. This needs a large minimum 5 quart slow cooker.
- 14.79 ml vegetable oil
- 907.18 g round steaks (see note)
- 2 onions, thinly sliced
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 4.92 ml salt
- 4.92 ml black peppercorns, cracked
- 59.14 ml all-purpose flour
- 177.44 ml chicken stock
- 4.92 ml paprika
- 1.23 ml cayenne pepper
- 59.14 ml whipping cream
- 1-2 jalapeno pepper, finely chopped
- mashed potatoes, hot and fluffy
- In a skillet, heat oil over medium high heat for 30 seconds. Add steak, in pieces, if necessary, and brown on both sides. Transfer to slow cooker stoneware.
- Reduce heat to medium. Add onions to skillet and cook, stirring, until softened, about 3 minutes. Add garlic, salt and peppercorns and cook, stirring, for 1 minutes. Sprinkle flour over mixture and cook, stirring, for 1 minute. Add stock and cook, stirring, until thickened. Sauce will be very thick.
- Spoon sauce over meat in slow cooker, cover and cook on LOW for 8 hours or on High for 4 hours, until meat is tender.
- In a small bowl, combine paprika and cayenne. Gradually add cream, mixing until blended. Add to stoneware along with jalapeno pepper. Cover and cook on HIGH for 15 minutes, until flavors meld. Serve with hot, fluffy mashed potatoes.
- TIP: While round steak is traditionally used for this dish, an equally successful version can be made with “simmering steak.” This is cut from the blade or cross rib and is available at many supermarkets. Serves 6.
- 175 Essential Slow Cooker Classics.
Really made the house smell good while cooking! I doubled the stock and cream but not the spices. We like lots of gravy. I did not add the jalapeno and the spice from the cayenne and paprika was enough for us. Will make this again