8 hrs 25 mins
Making this recipe in the slow cooker eliminates the traditional tasks of pounding the meat and watching the frying pan. It also produces melt in your mouth results. The rich, spicy pan gravy served over mashed potatoes is a marriage made in heaven. To turn up the heat, increase the quantity of jalapeno pepper. This needs a large minimum 5 quart slow cooker.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 2 lbs round steaks (see note)
- 2 onions, thinly sliced
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon black peppercorns, cracked
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup chicken stock
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/4 cup whipping cream
- 1 -2 jalapeno pepper, finely chopped
- mashed potatoes, hot and fluffy
- 1In a skillet, heat oil over medium high heat for 30 seconds. Add steak, in pieces, if necessary, and brown on both sides. Transfer to slow cooker stoneware.
- 2Reduce heat to medium. Add onions to skillet and cook, stirring, until softened, about 3 minutes. Add garlic, salt and peppercorns and cook, stirring, for 1 minutes. Sprinkle flour over mixture and cook, stirring, for 1 minute. Add stock and cook, stirring, until thickened. Sauce will be very thick.
- 3Spoon sauce over meat in slow cooker, cover and cook on LOW for 8 hours or on High for 4 hours, until meat is tender.
- 4In a small bowl, combine paprika and cayenne. Gradually add cream, mixing until blended. Add to stoneware along with jalapeno pepper. Cover and cook on HIGH for 15 minutes, until flavors meld. Serve with hot, fluffy mashed potatoes.
- 5TIP: While round steak is traditionally used for this dish, an equally successful version can be made with “simmering steak.” This is cut from the blade or cross rib and is available at many supermarkets. Serves 6.
- 6175 Essential Slow Cooker Classics.
Browse Our Top One-Dish Meal Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All One-Dish Meal Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Crock Pot Ranch House Chicken Fried Steak
Serving Size: 1 (276 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 303.1
- Calories from Fat 111
- Total Fat 12.3 g
- Saturated Fat 4.7 g
- Cholesterol 100.6 mg
- Sodium 514.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 9.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.9 g
- Sugars 2.2 g
- Protein 36.4 g