Recipe by DogAndCatDoc
I have not tried this yet, but plan to this holiday season. It comes from the Quick Cooking magazine.
Top Review by Chrishanna
This is easy and tasty. I had this in a crock pot cookbook of mine and searched to see if it was already up and here it is. I use whole wheat bread and it still works, the kids eat it up. My variations are 1/2 cup raisins, 1 tsp cinnamon. I might try adding 1 tsp vanilla next time too. I use rice milk as I have a dairy allergy. I also will omit the sauce and sprinkle it with cinnamon sugar instead as it is easier that way. Thanks for posting!
- 8 slices bread, cubed
- 4 eggs
- 2 cups milk
- 1⁄4 cup sugar
- 1⁄4 cup butter or 1⁄4 cup margarine, melted
- 1⁄4 cup raisins
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 2 tablespoons butter or 2 tablespoons margarine
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 cup water
- 3⁄4 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
Directions See How It's Made
- Place bread cubes in a greased slow cooker.
- In bowl beat eggs, milk.
- Stir in sugar, butter, raisins, and cinnamon.
- Add to milk/eggs.
- Pour over bread.
- Cover and cook on high for 1 hour.
- Reduce heat and cook on low for 3-4 hours or until a thermometer reads 160 degrees.
- Just before serving, melt butter in saucepan.
- Stir in flour until smooth.
- Gradually add water, sugar and vanilla.
- Bring to a boil.
- Cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened.
- Serve with warm bread pudding.