Recipe by Dreamer in Ontario
Another crock pot bread recipe from www.justslowcooking.com that I'm planning on trying soon. You'll know I've made it when you see my photo attached to the recipe.
Top Review by hikerpatTN
This was an absolutely wonderful recipe! Thanks, Dreamer in Ontario. I did a few things differently, because my house is chilly: 1) heated metal bowl before adding sugar, water & yeast; 2) put bowl on serving tray on slats underneath dining chair; 3) aimed space heater on it, to keep yeast working; 4) used wood cutting board, instead of counter, for mixing bowl; 5) put hot wash cloth on cutting board, so bowl wouldn't get cold; 6) sprayed entire Crock Pot (I have the original, which does not have a removable crock) & sprinkled it with mill-ground cornmeal; 7) heated Crock Pot on HIGH, before dumping in dough; 8) sprinkled top of batter w/cornmeal. This is a very stiff batter bread. The next time I make this (and there WILL be a next time!), I'm going to try basting top of batter with melted butter, to see if that smooths out the texture.
- 1 teaspoon granulated sugar
- 1 1⁄3 cups warm water
- 1 (8 g) envelope active dry yeast (1 Tbsp, scant. )
- 1 cup unbleached all-purpose flour
- 1 cup rye flour
- 2 tablespoons molasses (not blackstrap)
- 2 tablespoons cooking oil
- 2 tablespoons cocoa
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons caraway seeds (optional)
- 1 cup rye flour
Directions See How It's Made
- Stir sugar into warm water in large bowl and sprinkle yeast over top.
- Let stand for 10 minutes then stir to dissolve yeast.
- Add next 7 ingredients and beat on low to moisten.
- Beat on high for 2 minutes.
- Stir in second amount of rye flour.
- Grease bottom of 3-1/2 quart slow cooker. Turn dough into cooker.
- Place 5 paper towels between top of slow cooker and lid.
- Put wooden match or an object 1/8-inch thick between paper towels and edge of slow cooker to allow a bit of steam to escape.
- Do not lift lid for the first 1-3/4 hours cooking time.
- Cook on High for about 2 hours.
- Loosen sides with knife and turn out onto rack to cool.
- Cut into 14 slices.