With the leftovers from the pulled pork recipe below, we have a) made sandwiches, b) combined some with BBQ sauce and c) ate it straight from the bowl in the fridge… all sheer bliss. Today when I spied the last of our supply, I was inspired to make tacos with all my favorite toppings and here they are. You will have leftover pulled pork and be darned thankful for it! Time estimate does not include overnight marinating.
FOR THE PORK (use 3 cups of the finished pork roast)
- 1133.98-1814.36 g boneless pork shoulder
- 14.79 ml brown sugar
- 29.58 ml cajun seasoning
- 14.79 ml salt
- 14.79 ml cumin
- 14.79 ml paprika
- 14.79 ml fresh ground black pepper
- 14.79 ml chili powder
- 7.39 ml mesquite powder
- 118.29 ml frozen apple juice concentrate
- 118.29 ml cider vinegar
FOR THE TACOS
- 8 (48 inch) corn tortillas
- 118.29 ml sour cream
- 2 avocados, cut into 1/4 slices
- 118.29 ml fresh cilantro leaves, may be chopped
- mild green taco sauce, to taste
- 118.29 ml onion, chopped (optional)
- 118.29 ml cheddar cheese, shredded (optional)
- 236.59 ml vegetable oil, enough to cover tortillas in a small fry pan
- Making the pork: COMBINE BROWN SUGAR THROUGH MESQUITE POWDER. Spread over entire roast. Refrigerate roast in a Ziploc bag for up to 24 hours.
- PLACE APPLE JUICE and VINEGAR in a crock pot and add the spiced shoulder being careful not to lose the rub. Cook on high for two hours, then reduce to low for 10 more hours.
- REMOVE THE ROAST and let rest for 30 minutes.
- PULL roast apart with two forks.
- Making the tacos: HEAT OIL in small fry pan on medium-high until hot. Fry tortillas for about 30 seconds on each side so they're starting to turn crispy but are still quite pliable. Drain on paper towels or paper bag.
- SPREAD SOUR CREAM down the center of each tortilla along with slices of avocado and some cilantro.
- DIVIDE THE PORK equally and top each taco with a portion. Finish with mild green taco sauce to taste and the optional onions and/or cheese.
- FOLD TACO IN HALF and meditate while you lose yourself in culinary heaven!
OH! This is ABSOLUTELY the bomb!!! OMG! Sandi, the flavor of this is SO PERFECT, I don't even know how to describe it! Directions were so easy to follow and the seasonings were monumental! All of my kids just loved this, and so did I!!! Figured I'd have enough left over for the tacos, but Oh, NO! Served with garlic mashed potatoes and steamed broccoli, and there wasn't even enough left for me to take to work as leftovers!!! A tried and true "Keeper" in my family! Can't wait to tell the sisters about it and brag about how much better I can cook than they can!!! LOL! Thanks Sandi, for sharing! YUM! :)
Smells absolutely wonderful cooking all day! My whole family loved it! I have made a few other pulled pork recipes but this one is definately one of the best! Will make again and again!
Oh my gosh! This recipe is so easy and so great. I have lots of leftovers and am so happy. I'm passing this on to my daughter. It will be a great recipe for a crowd.