With the leftovers from the pulled pork recipe below, we have a) made sandwiches, b) combined some with BBQ sauce and c) ate it straight from the bowl in the fridge… all sheer bliss. Today when I spied the last of our supply, I was inspired to make tacos with all my favorite toppings and here they are. You will have leftover pulled pork and be darned thankful for it! Time estimate does not include overnight marinating.
FOR THE PORK (use 3 cups of the finished pork roast)
- 2 1⁄2-4 lbs boneless pork shoulder
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons cajun seasoning
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1 tablespoon cumin
- 1 tablespoon paprika
- 1 tablespoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1⁄2 tablespoon mesquite powder
- 1⁄2 cup frozen apple juice concentrate
- 1⁄2 cup cider vinegar
FOR THE TACOS
- 8 (6 inch) corn tortillas
- 1⁄2 cup sour cream
- 2 avocados, cut into 1/4 slices
- 1⁄2 cup fresh cilantro leaves, may be chopped
- mild green taco sauce, to taste
- 1⁄2 cup onion, chopped (optional)
- 1⁄2 cup cheddar cheese, shredded (optional)
- 1 cup vegetable oil, enough to cover tortillas in a small fry pan
- Making the pork: COMBINE BROWN SUGAR THROUGH MESQUITE POWDER. Spread over entire roast. Refrigerate roast in a Ziploc bag for up to 24 hours.
- PLACE APPLE JUICE and VINEGAR in a crock pot and add the spiced shoulder being careful not to lose the rub. Cook on high for two hours, then reduce to low for 10 more hours.
- REMOVE THE ROAST and let rest for 30 minutes.
- PULL roast apart with two forks.
- Making the tacos: HEAT OIL in small fry pan on medium-high until hot. Fry tortillas for about 30 seconds on each side so they're starting to turn crispy but are still quite pliable. Drain on paper towels or paper bag.
- SPREAD SOUR CREAM down the center of each tortilla along with slices of avocado and some cilantro.
- DIVIDE THE PORK equally and top each taco with a portion. Finish with mild green taco sauce to taste and the optional onions and/or cheese.
- FOLD TACO IN HALF and meditate while you lose yourself in culinary heaven!