Recipe by T. Woolfe
I got me a crock pot,, nuff said.. The long and low melted most of the greasiness out of the shoulder, and the vinegar apple juice combination added a sweet moistness to the final product.
Top Review by WW Girl
We really liked this. I thought it was a little dry...probably because I do not have a medium setting on my crockpot. I cooked it for 10 hours on high...next time I will try the low setting.
- 2 1⁄2-4 lbs boneless pork shoulder
- 3 tablespoons dark brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons cajun seasoning
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1 tablespoon cumin
- 1 tablespoon paprika
- 1 tablespoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon dried chipotle powder
- 1⁄2 tablespoon mesquite powder
- 1⁄2 cup frozen apple juice concentrate
- 1⁄2 cup cider vinegar
Directions See How It's Made
- Combine the rub spices and coat the shoulder.
- Bag the rubbed shoulder overnight in the fridge.
- Put Apple juice and vinegar in crock pot and add the shoulder and the rub that's stuck on it.
- Start the pot on high, turn down to med after an hour and a half.
- Cook for 12 hours total, 10 hours if your pot has no medium setting.
- Remove the shoulder and let rest for at least half an hour.
- Pull shoulder apart with a couple of forks.
- Place the pork on a cheap bun or Wonder bread with your favorite barbecue sauce and some slaw if you want to be traditional.