Prep 0 mins
Cook 10 hrs
This was sent to me via email. I love crock pot recipes!
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 2 onions, finely chopped
- 6 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon cracked black peppercorns
- 1 cup tomato-based chili sauce
- 2 celery ribs, sliced thin
- 1⁄4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1⁄4 cup cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon liquid smoke
- 1 (3 lb) boneless pork butt, trimmed of excess fat
- 6 -8 hard rolls
- In a skillet, heat oil over medium heat. Add onions; cook until soft. Add garlic, celery, chili powder and peppercorns; cook, stirring, for 1 minute. Add chili sauce, brown sugar, vinegar, Worcestershire sauce and liquid smoke. Stir to combine; bring to a boil.
- Place pork in slow cooker; pour sauce over pork. Cover and cook on LOW for 10 to 12 hours or on HIGH for 6 hours, until pork is falling apart.
- Transfer pork to a cutting board; pull the meat apart in shreds, using two forks. Return to sauce and keep warm.
- When ready to serve, spoon shredded pork and sauce over warm buns.
This was really good. The second time I made it, I used a stick blender to puree the vegetables after I removed the meat from the crock pot. It yielded a much thicker, richer sauce. Great over rice or noodles too.
Delicious! I made this for my Grandma and she loved it! I sampled some and can't wait to make it for my house. The pork is just spicy enough (not overpowering) and has an interesting flavor. We're not huge into BBQ or sauces but this was perfect. My DH said that the meat is tasty enough to eat without mixing it back in with the sauce after shredding. I thought it was great either way. I used Recipe #296751 for the chili sauce and I really think it added a lot to this dish.
This is outstanding! Very simple to make and tastes like GOOD barbeque. Cooking in the crockpot made it easy, but the smell made it very hard not to lift that lid. I used country pork ribs after trimming them of visible fat. They cooked until the meat was falling off of the bone tender & very easy to shredd. Yum! I will be making this recipe again & again. Thank you!