This soup is so easy to put together and it is really nice meal to come home to after work. Easy and delicious - what more could one ask for? Serve with flour tortillas for dipping and shredded cheese of your choice to top. If you are not too concerned about the fat content you can use regular cream cheese - but I love the NEUFCHATEL. Everyone in my family loves this, even the babies.
- 5 1⁄2 cups chicken broth
- 1 (10 3/4 ounce) cancondensed reduced-fat cream of chicken soup
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 4 large potatoes (large dice, about 1-inch)
- 1 (8 ounce) packageneufchatel low-fat cream cheese (cubed)
- 1 (7 ounce) canchopped green chilies
Garnish and Dipping
- shredded Mexican blend cheese
- flour tortilla
- Pour chicken broth, cream of chicken soup and onion powder into the crock pot and stir well to combine.
- Add diced potatoes and diced green chilies and stir.
- Cover crockpot and cook on low 8-10 hours.
- Place cubed cream cheese in a bowl in the microwave and microwave for 1 minute.
- Add cream cheese to the crock pot and stir until melted and blended.
- Cover crock pot and cook for an additional 30 minutes (if you don't have time for this step, you can microwave the cream cheese for a bit longer).
- Serve with shredded cheese as garnish and flour tortillas.
WOW! This soup is fantastic. I took the lazy way out and just chopped up some russets with the skins on. I used a 12 oz. bottle of Rosarita salsa verde instead of the green chiles, and threw in about a teaspoon of cumin, as well. I probably got a little heavy-handed with the onion powder, too. Cooked it on low for 8 hours, and then my husband and I devoured it! Thanks for a recipe that will go into the regular winter soup rotation!!
I made this exactly as written and it was really simple to put together. It was a little bland for our taste. Also, the cream cheese never totally melted. There were globs of cream cheese on the top.
What a yummy soup. it was the perfect supper on a -30 degree January night in Iowa! I didn't have green chilies, and didn't notice until I had started throwing everything into the crock pot. I used a 7oz. can of salsa verde instead. It worked great. The soup was nice and spicy but not too hot. I served some grilled cheese on the side. Thanks so much for posting! Made for Belly Warmers: Soups & Stews Photo event in the Photo Forum.