Recipe by Lusil
My Mom's tried and true. To me it's one of my all time favorite comfort food.
Top Review by Donut Chef
Great recipe. After cooking the roast, we took it out and sliced it quite thin with an electric knife and returned the slices to the gravy, rather than shredding. Some pieces still fell apart, but the intact slices were a bonus! I don't think I've ever had a dish like this, but it was great! Wonderful roast beef flavor! I was worried that the sauce would overwhelm the meat, but it was a good complement, instead. We had a lot of side dishes, so a 2.5 lb roast served 6 adults and 6 smallish children.
- 2 1⁄2 lbs boneless beef chuck roast
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 2 carrots, chopped
- 1 onion, sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 (10 1/2 ounce) can cream of celery soup
- 2 tablespoons quick-cooking tapioca
- 1 (14 ounce) can Italian tomatoes
- 1 (6 ounce) can tomato paste
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 2 bay leaves
- salt and pepper
- 1 (8 ounce) package egg noodles, cooked, drained and buttered
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat oil in a skillet and brown roast on all side; remove from pan.
- In the same skillet saute' carrots, onion and garlic for three minutes.
- Put veggies in crock pot and place roast on top.
- Combine remaining ingredients (except noodles) and pour over roast.
- Cook on low 10- 12 hours or high for 5- 6 hours.
- Shred beef and return to gravy.
- Serve over hot buttered noodles.