Prep 15 mins
Cook 13 hrs 45 mins
Yes, root beer. And it's really good. And it's great for busy days.
- 3 -4 lbs pork butt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 teaspoons vegetable oil
- 2 -3 onions, cut into thin wedges
- 1 cup root beer (not diet!)
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
Root Beer sauce
- 3 cups root beer (not diet)
- 1 cup chili sauce (heinz makes a really good one)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon hot sauce (like tabasco or texas pete)
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- toasted hot dog bun
- chopped onion
- tomatoes, sliced
- Rub meat with salt and pepper.
- In a large skillet brown roast in hot oil.
- Put in crock pot with garlic, onions and root beer.
- Cook on low for 8 hours or high for 5 hours.
- ------RootBeer Sauce---------.
- In a medium saucepan combine the rootbeer, chili sauce and garlic.
- Bring to a boil, reduce and simmer for about 45 minutes, stirring often.
- Reduce to 2 cups.
- Add hot sauce.
- Remove meat and with 2 forks shred.
- Place on toasted bun with condiments and spoon on the sauce.
This was pretty darn good! Myself, I'm usually not all that keen on the larger cuts of meat, but I really enjoyed this. The root beer (I used A&W) not only makes for a very tender cut of pork but it makes for a very flavorful sauce. I purchased the Heinz chili sauce as you suggested and I liked the combination of heat and sweet (cooking the sauce really creates an appetite from the wonderful smell wafting throughout the house). The whole family cleaned up on this dish and I would definitely make this again. I'm submitting a photo in gratitude Diana, and I thank you once again for sharing such a delicious recipe!
This came out fantastic...very tender and juicy. The sauce was very tasty. The only thing I did different was adding more hot sauce than the recipe calls for. The heat was a good compliment to the sweetness of the sauce.
Nice flavor in the sauce. I cut back on the onions.