Recipe by Dib's
Yes, root beer. And it's really good. And it's great for busy days.
Top Review by HOUSEMANAGER (Charlene)
This was pretty darn good! Myself, I'm usually not all that keen on the larger cuts of meat, but I really enjoyed this. The root beer (I used A&W) not only makes for a very tender cut of pork but it makes for a very flavorful sauce. I purchased the Heinz chili sauce as you suggested and I liked the combination of heat and sweet (cooking the sauce really creates an appetite from the wonderful smell wafting throughout the house). The whole family cleaned up on this dish and I would definitely make this again. I'm submitting a photo in gratitude Diana, and I thank you once again for sharing such a delicious recipe!
- 3 -4 lbs pork butt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 teaspoons vegetable oil
- 2 -3 onions, cut into thin wedges
- 1 cup root beer (not diet!)
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
Root Beer sauce
- 3 cups root beer (not diet)
- 1 cup chili sauce (heinz makes a really good one)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon hot sauce (like tabasco or texas pete)
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- toasted hot dog bun
- chopped onion
- tomatoes, sliced
Directions See How It's Made
- Rub meat with salt and pepper.
- In a large skillet brown roast in hot oil.
- Put in crock pot with garlic, onions and root beer.
- Cook on low for 8 hours or high for 5 hours.
- ------RootBeer Sauce---------.
- In a medium saucepan combine the rootbeer, chili sauce and garlic.
- Bring to a boil, reduce and simmer for about 45 minutes, stirring often.
- Reduce to 2 cups.
- Add hot sauce.
- Remove meat and with 2 forks shred.
- Place on toasted bun with condiments and spoon on the sauce.