Prep 15 mins
Cook 8 hrs
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 1 1⁄2 lbs boneless pork, cut into cubes
- 1⁄2 lb baby carrots
- 3⁄4 lb potato, cut in chunks
- 1⁄2 cup chopped green pepper
- 1 (16 ounce) package frozen mixed vegetables
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon marjoram
- 1 (14 ounce) can chicken broth
- 2 (1 1/4 ounce) packages brown gravy mix
- Heat oil and brown pork.
- In large bowl combine all ingredients except broth and gravy mixes.
- Pour into crock pot.
- Combine broth and gravy mixes in the bowl and pour over ingredients in crock pot.
- Cover and cook on low for 8 hours.
This turned out fantastic. I didn't brown the pork. Instead, I put the pork in the slow cooker on high while I prepared the other ingredients. I used about a 1/2 pound more potatoes (red), omitted the marjoram (didn't have any) and decreased the salt to 1/2 tsp (figured the gravy and broth had enough salt). I also added a bay leaf. My whole family loved it. I found no need to add anything to thicken the stew before serving, probably due to the extra potatoes. Awesome!
This really turned out perfect for me. Very simple. I used boneless pork rib removed excess fat and cubed. The cut of meat was very tender. I chose red potatoes and ended up with the best textured potato I have ever gotten out of a stew. I substituted homemade Turkey Broth instead of canned chicken. Thanks for the simple basic recipe.
Yum! I didn't brown the pork and found that not to be necessary at all. I also didn't add carrots out of personal preference. I added a bay leaf. This is so satisfying, and you can reheat and eat all week.