Recipe by ellie_
A busy day (crock pot) supper that is complete served with biscuits or bread. Directions include freezing and re-heating directions - can be frozen for up to one month.
Top Review by Elmotoo
This was very good. I think I would like it more if I used kielbasa from the store. I used some that dh made & in this recipe, the smokiness was way overpowering for me. I used a bag of the small baby carrots & a bag of cannellini beans that I had cooked & frozen. I'm not sure about the pork...shoulder still had the bone & getting 1 1/2 lbs from a 5lb shoulder was more butchering than I had planned on. Can you buy this cut without the bone? It was a very easy recipe & the house smelled wonderful all day. I will definitely use this recipe again! Thank you, ellie, for posting!
- 1 1⁄2 lbs pork shoulder, cut into cubes
- 1 (16 ounce) can kielbasa, cut into 1/2 inch slices (or your favorite smoked sausage cut into slices)
- 2 onions, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 (15 ounce) can cannellini beans, rinsed and drained
- 6 carrots, peeled and sliced into 1-inch pieces
- 1 (14 ounce) can chicken broth (or 1 3/4 cup water with 2 chicken bouillon cubes)
- 3 tablespoons tomato paste
- 2 tablespoons fresh thyme or 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup tomatoes, chopped or 1 cup halved cherry tomatoes
For crumb topping
- 1 1⁄2 cups breadcrumbs
- 1⁄4 cup fresh parsley, chopped
- 1⁄4 cup parmesan cheese, shredded
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
Directions See How It's Made
- Put first 10 ingredients (pork - pepper)in crock pot, cover and cook on low heat for 8-10 hours (or on high heat for 4-5 hours).
- Stir in tomatoes, cover and cook for 10 minutes longer.
- To make crumb topping: combine crumb topping ingredients in a plastic baggie. Sprinkle crumb mixture over stew and cook 15 minutes longer.
- ***To make ahead and freeze. Prepare stew as directed and turn into a 3-quart casserole, freeze covered for up to one month. Topping can also be frozen (separately) for up to one month. To serve: Thaw casserole and crumb topping in refrigerator for up to 2 days ahead of time. Preheat oven to 400-degrees F. Bake casserole covered for 30 minutes, uncover and sprinkle with crumb topping and bake for 15-20 minutes longer or until heated through.