Prep 15 mins
Cook 10 hrs
This is a little different than the usual barbecue sauce. It has a nice Cajun flavor. The tomatoes make an excellent sauce for the tender shredded pork. This recipe is from Easy Meals by Betty Crocker.
- 3 1⁄2 lbs pork shoulder, trimmed of fat
- 1 tablespoon cajun seasoning
- 1 tablespoon red pepper sauce
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can diced tomatoes, undrained
- 12 rolls
- 12 slices monterey jack cheese
- lettuce leaf
- tomatoes, sliced
- onion, sliced
- jalapeno pepper, sliced
- Place the pork in a 3 to 4 quart crock pot.
- Sprinkle with seasonings, pour tomatoes over pork.
- Cover and cook on low for 8 to 10 hours.
- Remove the meat from crock pot, place on cutting board and shred using 2 forks, discarding the bones.
- Return meat to crock pot and mix well.
- Using a slotted spoon to remove pork mixture from cooker and fill each roll with 1/2 cup meat mixture.
- Top with cheese and condiments as desired.
I love the spiciness of the pork cooked with cajun seasoning. Excellent sandwich. Will make again soon.
My DH raved about this one! I liked it too and it was so easy to prepare. This has such a nice flavor and is different from the usual BBQ pork. I liked that it isn't drowning in sauce. I reduced the amounts to prepare half of the recipe and used a Cajun seasoning recipe posted on zaar. I was a little worried about how hot this might turn out so I didn't add the full amount of cayenne. The meat has such a nice flavor, but wasn't hot at all. Next time I will add all of the pepper. Did I mention I loved this because it was easy? This recipe goes into my keeper file. Thank you Paula!!!!
It doesn't get any easier than this--great for a hectic day, since it only takes a couple of minutes to toss everything in the crockpot. I did add additional seasoning, then tossed more with the meat after it was shredded, as I thought it was a bit short on flavor. I served very simply on French bread, topped with pepper jack cheese, and we all really enjoyed the sandwiches. Thanks for posting the recipe!