Prep 20 mins
Cook 3 hrs 30 mins
Until you try these don't knock them! It will not be everyone's favorite but I love them. It is another of those open the fridge & cupboard recipes that I threw together yesterday. I served them with egg noodles and a green salad, sliced tomatoes etc. The sauerkraut is in there but it is not a discernible flavor just gives a special tang. This is a spicy recipe but it does not bite you. I started them a bit early so after the 3 1/2 hours cooking time I had them on warm in the crock pot. there was still enough sauce. These would be great as an appetizer - do ahead and make them half the size - just warm them up before serving
- 1 lb ground pork
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1⁄3 cup dry breadcrumbs
- 1 teaspoon dry onion flakes or 3⁄4 teaspoon onion powder
- salt and pepper
- 1 cup hot salsa (I used Pace)
- 3⁄4 cup water
- 1⁄3 cup dried cranberries
- 2 cups sauerkraut, wine cured, well squeezed
- 1 cup barbecue sauce (I used Diana's gourmet original)
- 2 fresh garlic cloves, chopped or 1 tablespoon dry dried garlic
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dry chili flakes (or more)
- Mix the sauce ingredients together, stir well. Season to taste with salt & pepper.
- Mix the pork, egg, breadcrumbs, salt, pepper and onion flakes, work the mixture well so the egg and crumbs are evenly mixed.
- Place 1/3 of the sauce in the bottom of the crock pot.
- Form the meat mixture into 1 1/4" balls and place in a single layer in the crock pot If more than 1 layer is needed pour in a 1/3 of the sauce to coat the bottom layer of meatballs Continue adding the meat balls.
- Pour remaining 1/3 of the sauce over top.
- Cook on low 3 1/2 hours.