Prep 30 mins
Cook 8 hrs
Serve this tasty pork dish over rice, pasta or mashed potatoes.
- 2 lbs boneless pork shoulder, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1 medium yellow onion, peeled and chopped
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 2 medium carrots, peeled and cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 (16 ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 1 teaspoon chicken bouillon granule
- 1 teaspoon dried marjoram
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 dash black pepper
- 1 cup sliced mushrooms
- 1⁄3 cup water
- 3 tablespoons flour
- Heat half the oil in a skillet and brown half of the pork cubes and chopped onion; remove from pan, repeat with remaining oil, pork and onions; drain off fat.
- Transfer meat and onion to crock pot. Add carrots.
- In same skillet combine undrained tomatoes, bouillon granules, marjoram, thyme and pepper and mushrooms.
- Stir together, scraping browned bits from bottom of skillet.
- Pour over pork.
- Cover; cook on LOW for 8 hours. Turn to HIGH.
- Blend cold water slowly into flour; stir into pork mixture. Season with salt and pepper, if needed, to taste.
- Cook, uncovered, on HIGH until thickened, 15 to 20 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Serve over cooked rice or pasta.
Don't know what made this dish the best MIkey, ease of prep, wonderful taste and blend of flavors or the presentation. It all went together to make for a wonderful dinner. The pork was fall apart tender but nice and moist - not dry at all. Followed the directions exactly and served over steamed jasmine rice. Didn't change a thing.
I decided to stop the cooking after 7 hours. I tasted the pork and it was tender. Perfect. To brown the pork, I used extra virgin olive oil. I used a 28 ounces can of diced tomatoes, didn't want to waste. And I didn't do the sauce at the end. Thanks Mikekey for posting this recipe. The taste was grea, seasoning also. Didn't have to add something. Made for Please Review my recipe.
I didn't bother with sauting the onions or browning the meat. I just threw everything in my crock pot. I didn't use the bouillon granules. Instead I used about a cup of chicken broth. This was really good! I had it with mashed potatoes.