Prep 30 mins
Cook 7 hrs
A fun little dish inspired by/ adapted from Susan Dillard's Pork Medallions with cranberries and apples (Pork Medallions With Cranberries and Apples)
- 1 3⁄4 lbs boneless pork roast
- 3 cups tart apples, thinly sliced (I used Granny Smiths)
- 1 cup sweet onion, thinly sliced (I used vidalia)
- 1 cup cranberries (fresh or frozen)
- 1 cup apple cider or 1 cup apple juice
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 3 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried rubbed sage
- Season pork roast with salt and pepper.
- Brown on all sides in a skillet.
- Meanwhile, put a layer of apples on the bottom of the crock pot.
- When the meat is browned, throw it on top of the apples.
- Throw in the rest of the apples, the onion, and the cranberries around and on top of the pork.
- Mix the apple cider, the chicken broth, the brown sugar and the sage.
- Pour over the pork and fruits.
- Cover and cook on high for 6-7 hours until the pork falls apart when you poke it with a fork.
- Shred the pork and mix well with the sauce.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Serve over hot buttered noodles.
This was delicious. we didn't have any apples so I used all cranberries and added an extra cup of apple cider. My husband and I were thrilled with the out come and will use apples next time.