Recipe by *Parsley*
Traditional Pa Dutch New Year's Day meal. Serve with mashed potatoes. :)
Top Review by Chef Pheebs
This recipe was very easy and delicious. My husband, who never cooks, made this for the family, and everyone loved it. I would definitely make it again. He made it using pork chops and it was perfect! Thanks for posting!
- 4 lbs pork loin roast
- 1⁄2 teaspoon caraway seed
- 1⁄2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 small baking apple, peeled, cored and diced very small (can use about 1/3 c applesauce instead)
- 2 lbs sauerkraut, undrained
- 1⁄4 cup packed brown sugar
- 4 tablespoons butter, melted
- salt, if needed, to taste
Directions See How It's Made
- Place pork loin in crock pot. Sprinkle with caraway seeds and black pepper.
- Place diced apple (or applesauce) on top of pork.
- Pour sauerkraut and juice on top.
- Evenly sprinkle the brown sugar on top of the sauerkraut.
- Drizzle the top with melted butter.
- Cook on low for about 8 hours or until pork reaches internal temp of at least 160 degrees F.
- Stir the sauerkraut around a bit before serving.