Prep 10 mins
Cook 8 hrs
Traditional Pa Dutch New Year's Day meal. Serve with mashed potatoes. :)
- 4 lbs pork loin roast
- 1⁄2 teaspoon caraway seed
- 1⁄2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 small baking apple, peeled, cored and diced very small (can use about 1/3 c applesauce instead)
- 2 lbs sauerkraut, undrained
- 1⁄4 cup packed brown sugar
- 4 tablespoons butter, melted
- salt, if needed, to taste
- Place pork loin in crock pot. Sprinkle with caraway seeds and black pepper.
- Place diced apple (or applesauce) on top of pork.
- Pour sauerkraut and juice on top.
- Evenly sprinkle the brown sugar on top of the sauerkraut.
- Drizzle the top with melted butter.
- Cook on low for about 8 hours or until pork reaches internal temp of at least 160 degrees F.
- Stir the sauerkraut around a bit before serving.
This recipe was very easy and delicious. My husband, who never cooks, made this for the family, and everyone loved it. I would definitely make it again. He made it using pork chops and it was perfect! Thanks for posting!
This recipe was so delicious! My boyfriend raved over how good the pork was! I used cumin instead of caraway seeds because I didn't have any and did not use butter or salt. It was so moist and tender!!! I served it with mashed potatoes and rolls. This recipe will be our New Year's Day tradition from now on!
Growing up my mom would just throw some porkchops in a baking dish and throw Sauerkraut on top and bake till the meat fell off the bone. This recipe sounded like the "grown up" version. I cooked on low and at exactly 8 hours the meat was falling apart delicious! I also put some quartered potatos and onions on the bottom of the crockpot and then did the rest as recipe stated. I enjoyed, but next time i will leave off the brown sugar, it wasn't my thing. I bet without the brown sugar it will be perfect!