Prep 15 mins
Cook 6 hrs
Porcupine meat balls are quick and easy to make for my kids, and now I have a slower cooker (crock pot) they are even easier As an added bonus i buy more of the mince and make double batches of the balls and freeze them so easy to take them out and pop in cooker with everything else Also can make the balls as mini's for parties, they are a great hit.
- 1 lb lean ground beef (600gm) or 1 lb lamb (600gm)
- 1⁄2 cup uncooked rice
- 1 small finely chopped onion
- 1 pinch salt
- 1 pinch pepper
- 1 teaspoon mixed herbs
- 1 egg
- 2 (8 ounce) cans tomato soup (420gm each)
- Mix ground beef, rice, onions, egg and seasonings. With hands, shape into small meatballs 1inch to 1 1/2 inch (3cmm) are best shape.
- Add to crock pot with tomato soup.
- Cook on low for 5-7 hours (as slow cookers vary).
- As an extra sometimes I put two handfuls of rice into the soup.
- This can also be cooked on the stove top but add 2 tins of water and cook covered for 1 hour).
This was very blah. I've made similar in the oven, using tomato sauce. Even though we like tomato soup and I added some tomato sauce to this, it didn't help. I'll stick with my oven recipe. Everyone has different tastes!
These are good. The flavor of these reminded me of when my Mom made these when I was a kid. I followed the recipe ingredients exactly. I had the same problem your other reviewer had in that my meatballs fell all apart also. I think maybe this is a product of cooking in the crock pot and browning them first might help. Made for Fall PAC 2008
My husband enjoyed this recipe, I felt there wasn't much flavor in the meatballs. I followed your recipe but in the end my meatballs were falling apart. I'm not sure what I did wrong. Next time I'll try browning them before I put them in the crockpot.