Prep 5 mins
Cook 9 hrs
I love polenta. Like it fried with maple syrup for breakfast. Like it with lemon pepper & a bit of butter, oh I could go on and on. But making it on the stove top was always plop plop burn burn, this way I'm safe.
- In large bowl combine cornmeal and 2 cups cold water.
- Pour 8 cups boiling water into 4 qt crock pot add salt and butter. When butter melts carefully add wet cornmeal stirring.
- Cover and cook on low for 6 to 9 hours (3 to 4 hours on high), stirring occasionally.
- Transfer polenta mixture to greased loaf pans. Chill til cold and firm. Remove from pans.
- Wrap individual loaves in foil or slice for desired recipes and carefully place in large freezer bags; 1 layer per bag. Stack bags after frozen. Makes 3 - 4 loaves depending on pan size.