Recipe by Sue Lau
Has the perfect flavor to make a sweet ending to any autumn or winter meal.
Top Review by Engrossed
I had a huge bag of Fuyu persimmons from my inlaws tree so went looking for recipes. There aren't very many recipes for this type of persimmon. I made this as directed with cinnabon bread and added golden raisins. The recipe didn't say to peel the persimmons, and some people do eat the skin, so I didn't...I wish I did...the skin ended up giving the whole thing the texture of dried shredded coconut which I dislike. It didn't have much flavor and wasn't sweet enough. Sadly, we ended up throwing most of it out. If I were to make it again...I would try peeling and dicing the persimmons and adding extra brown sugar and spices.
- nonstick cooking spray
- 8 slices cinnamon-swirl bread or 8 slices cinnabon bread, cubed
- 4 fuyu persimmons, grated
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 4 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 cup half-and-half
- 1 cup milk
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 1⁄2 cups toasted pecans
- 1⁄4 cup butter, melted
- 1 pinch nutmeg
- whipped cream (optional) or vanilla ice cream (optional) or heavy cream (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Spray the interior of the crock pot with nonstick spray.
- Mix together bread cubes, grated persimmon, and place in the crock pot.
- Stir together sugar, eggs, half and half, milk, and cinnamon.
- Pour mixture over bread, making sure it covers all the bread.
- Sprinkle the top with toasted pecans.
- Grate a little nutmeg over the top.
- Cover and cook on low for 4-5 hurs, until it is puffy and set (check with knife).
- Serve warm with whipped cream, ice cream, or drizzle with heavy cream, if desired.`.