Recipe by Bergy
Persian lamb stew sends wonderful flavors your way - not spicy - just a nice blend of flavors. A meal in one pot. Serve with a salad on the side and crusty rolls to scoop up the last of the sauce. I was very pressed for time today to make this recipe so I just put everything in the crock pot with out browning anything and it turned out heavenly - 1/2 hour on high then 4 hours on low. I used 4 shoulder steaks bone in. I did cut off any fat. Also I threw in a carrot. I love this recipe.
Top Review by Angela Sara
This was so tasty, not a meaty flavour but a wonderful blend of spices and vegetables. I used all of the ingredients with the exception of the bay leaves, and as I don't have a crockpot I put it in the oven on a med/high temp for about 1 1/2 hours. This will be a regular. Thanks for posting.
- 1 1⁄2 lbs lean boneless leg of lamb, cut into 1 inch cubes
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoons olive oil (divided)
- 2 large onions, thinly sliced
- 6 garlic cloves, minced
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 (14 ounce) can whole tomatoes, drained
- 1 large potato, peeled and cut into 1/2 inch cubes
- 8 ounces fresh green beans
- 1 small eggplant, peeled and cut into 1/2 inch cubes
- 1 medium zucchini, cut int 1/2 inch slices
- 5 bay leaves
- 3 tablespoons fresh parsley, chopped
Directions See How It's Made
- Season the lamb with about half of the salt & pepper.
- In a skillet over medium-high heat& 2 tbs of oil brown the lamb and transfer the lamb, when browned, to a 3 1/2 quart crock pot.
- Sauté the onions in the last tbs of oil until they are translucent 3-5 minutes Add the garlic& oregano, cook& stir approx 1 minute.
- Add tomatoes and simmer, smashing the tomatoes as you stir.
- Pour approx half of the tomatoes over the lamb in the crock pot.
- Place potatoes in a layer on top of the tomatoes and season with salt & pepper.
- Add a layer of green beans, then the eggplant and zucchini.
- Season each layer lightly with salt & pepper to your taste.
- Pour remaining tomatoes on top.
- Add bay leaves.
- Cover and cook on high for 4 hours or until the lamb is tender.
- Remove bay leaves & serve.