Recipe by Bev
This is a easy to prepare, flavorful and very tender pepper steak. Serve over rice or egg noodles. If you like your green pepper crisp, add to crock pot the last couple hours of cooking time. This is an adapted recipe from Allrecipes.
Top Review by FloridaNative
Oh Bev, I was surprised how delicious this was ~ DD even had 2nds, and she is picky-picky. But she (and we) loved the tender flavorful beef, and the seasoning level was just right and served it over wild and brown rice. Thanks for a new recipe for the keeper cookbook. Made for Potluck Tag, Jan 2009.
- 2 lbs beef sirloin, cut into 2 inch strips
- garlic powder (to taste)
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 beef bouillon cube
- 1⁄4 cup hot water
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1⁄2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1⁄2 cup onion, chopped
- 2 large green bell peppers, roughly chopped
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can stewed tomatoes, with liquid
- 3 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon white sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
Directions See How It's Made
- Sprinkle strips of sirloin with garlic powder to taste.
- Heat vegetable oil in a large skillet over medium heat, brown beef strips.
- Transfer beef to crock pot.
- Crush and mix bouillon cube with hot water until dissolved, then stir in cornstarch until dissolved.
- Pour into the crock pot with meat.
- Add red pepper flakes, onion, green peppers, stewed tomatoes, soy sauce, sugar, and salt.
- Cover, and cook on High for 3 to 4 hours, or on low for 6 to 8 hours.
- ** If you would like to thicken the sauce for gravy, mix 1 TBS cornstarch with some water and stir into crock pot 1/2 hour before complete cooking time.