Prep 20 mins
Cook 2 hrs
- 1 orange, zest of
- 1 cup orange juice
- 4 cups water
- 1 bottle merlot
- 1 1⁄2 cups sugar
- 2 cinnamon sticks
- 1 tablespoon whole cloves
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 6 pears, peeled 1/4 inch cut off at bottom to flatten
- Combine all ingredients in the slow cooker except for the pears.
- Cover; cook on High for 1 hour.
- Add the pears to the crock pot and cook for an additional 1 hour.
- Remove pears and strain liquid.
- Pour the liquid over the pears.
- Serve chilled.