Prep 15 mins
Cook 8 hrs
I've converted my Baked Pears to a breakfast crock pot recipe What a tasty way to start the day (and I don't even like oatmeal)! Apples could be substituted. Sometimes I substitute equal parts of homemade granola for some of the oatmeal! Be sure to use steel cut oatmeal, as rolled oatmeal will cook too quickly. Do not use the large 6 qt. crock pots for this recipe, and if you cut the recipe in 1/2 use one of the mini-crock pots.
- 3 -4 ripe pears
- 1 cup steel cut oats
- 1⁄2 cup brown sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 1⁄4 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1⁄2 cup butter (softened)
- 4 cups apple juice
- 1⁄3 cup pecan pieces
- 1⁄3 cup raisins (or craisins)
- Cut pears in half and core, do not peel.
- Combine oats, sugar, raisins/craisins, spices and butter until crumbly.
- Stuff pears.
- Place pears in crock pot, layering if necessary, sprinkling excess oats on top.
- Pour apple juice over pears.
- Place crock pot on low and cook for 6-8 hours.
- Sprinkle top with nuts.
- Cool slightly before serving.
Made & reviewed for ZWT 4 - Kumquat's Kookin' Kaboodles! I used a mix of pears & apples for this & also added a few pieces of preserved ginger, the combination worked perfectly for our tastes. I also used 1/2 cup of sugar instead of 3/4 cup.....I topped the oatmeal with a handful of chopped walnuts & pecans & a tiny drizzle of maple syrup (just for an added flavour - the oatmeal doesn't need any extra sweetness). Thanks Galley Wench for a great recipe :)