Prep 30 mins
Cook 4 hrs
DH love this because of the garlic. I love it because I love my Crock Pot. I adapted this one from Southern Food.about.com. I use a six quart Crock Pot with a liner and I mince and chop and slice all the veggies with my food processor.
- 1 (16 ounce) package dried split peas, rinsed
- 1 -2 cup of diced ham, I buy the pre-packaged diced ham and just use what I have on hand
- 4 carrots, peeled and sliced
- 1 onion, chopped
- 4 celery ribs, chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 tablespoon dried parsley flakes
- 1 tablespoon salt free all purpose seasoning
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 quart low sodium chicken broth
- 2 cups water (use less if you want a thicker soup)
- Put the ingredients into the Crock Pot layered in the order given above.
- Add the broth.
- Add the water.
- Cover and cook on HIGH 4 to 5 hours OR LOW for 8 to 10 hours until the peas are really soft.
- Take the Bay leaf out
- Mash peas to thicken.
- Enjoy - we love this with Corn Bread.