Recipe by Sharon123
Chunks of eggplant cook in a slow cooked spaghetti sauce offering a low calorie alternative to ground beef or sausage. From Better Homes and Gardens. French and Italian!
Top Review by RedVinoGirl
Wonderful easy crockpot recipe! I followed this recipe as stated but added extra minced garlic, crushed red peppers, garlic powder and italian seasoning when mixing it. I forgot the parsley at the end and served this over whole wheat rotini. 6 and 8 year old loved as did my husband and I. Will definitely make again! Love eggplant dishes - especially when they're easy and done in a crockpot! Thank you!
- 1 medium eggplant
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1⁄2 green pepper, chopped (optional)
- 1 (28 ounce) can Italian-style tomatoes, cut up
- 1 (6 ounce) can Italian-style tomato paste
- 1 (4 ounce) can sliced mushrooms, drained or 1⁄2 cup fresh mushrooms, sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 -2 teaspoon sugar (optional)
- 1⁄4 cup dry red wine
- 1⁄4 cup water
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons dried oregano, crushed
- 1⁄2 cup pitted kalamata olives or 1⁄2 cup pitted ripe olives, sliced
- 2 -4 tablespoons snipped fresh parsley
- 4 cups hot cooked penne pasta
- 1⁄3 cup parmesan cheese (grated or shredded)
- 2 tablespoons toasted pine nuts (optional)
- salt and pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Peel eggplant, if desired; cut eggplant into 1-inch cubes.
- In a 3 to 5 quart crock pot combine eggplant, onion, green pepper, undrained tomatoes, tomato paste, mushrooms, garlic, sugar (if using), wine, water, and oregano.
- Cover and cook on low-heat setting for 7 to 8 hours or on high-heat setting for 3 1/2 to 4 hours.
- Stir in olives and parsley.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Serve over pasta with Parmesan cheese.
- Garnish with toasted pine nuts.
- Makes 6 servings.
- Note: Sometimes I will throw in grated carrots, zucchini, and other fresh vegs.
- In a hurry?.
- Use canned spaghetti sauce!
- (Leave out the tomatoes, tomato paste.) Just add the wine, herbs, olives, etc.