Prep 20 mins
Cook 8 hrs
I came across a simliar recipe in a low fat cookbook, but changed it so much after making it several times, it's my own creation. Taste's a lot like Olive Gardens (which I love), only a little lighter.
- Pam cooking spray
- 1⁄4 cup minced onion
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1⁄2 lb ground sirloin
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- salt and pepper
- 1 (28 ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 1 (14 ounce) can beef broth
- 3 cups water
- 1 cup sliced carrot
- 1 cup sliced celery
- 1 cup red kidney beans
- 1 cup navy beans or 1 cup great northern bean
- 2 teaspoons oregano
- 1 teaspoon italian seasoning
- 1 teaspoon basil
- 1 teaspoon thyme
- 1 teaspoon red hot sauce
- salt and pepper
- 4 ounces of cooked elbow macaroni (cooled)
- Heat nonstick frying pan over medium heat.
- When hot, use Pam to coat the pan.
- Saute onion for about 1 min, add garlic saute 1 minute Add sirloin, cumin, salt and pepper.
- Cook until cooked.
- In Crock Pot add everything together (EXCEPT PASTA) including meat mixture.
- Cook for 8-10 hours on a low setting.
- Add pasta just before you serve.
Just an ok soup. Husband felt it was bland. The only thing I did differently was add pasta (uncooked) the last half hour.
I found this recipe a few years ago on this website, and have been making it every fall/winter since. It's yummy (better than Olive Garden's). It's easy to put together, and overall healthy. My nieces & nephew love it too. My sister-in-law makes it regularly. Great with some tortilla chips!!
We had this for dinner tonight. I used a whole can of kindney and Great Northern beans and less water because my crockpot was getting full. It turned out good. I liked that the fresh carrots and beans didn't get mushy and the spice was just right. I served it with corn muffins. Will make again.