Prep 15 mins
Cook 6 hrs
- 4 lbs broiler-fryer chickens, cut up
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1⁄3 cup soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1⁄4 cup slivered almonds
- In a large skillet over medium heat, brown the chicken in oil on both sides.
- Transfer to a crock pot.
- Combine the soy sauce, brown sugar, water, garlic, and ginger; pour over chicken.
- Cover and cook on HIGH for 1 hour.
- Reduce heat to LOW; cook 4 to 5 hours longer or until the meat juices run clear.
- Remove chicken to a serving platter; sprinkle with almonds.
- Spoon juices over chicken or thicken if desired.
I made this with chicken breast and skipped the oil to save on fat and calories. It was really salty, but tasty.
I used 4 pounds of chicken breast when I made this simple dish. I liked the light taste of the fresh ginger and soy sauce. Next time I will try your suggestion and thicken the juices.