Prep 20 mins
Cook 5 hrs
This is fantastic chicken! My DH says it's some of the best chicken he's ever had. It is loosely based on an old crock pot recipe, but updated by removing a lot of grease (the original recipe has you add the oil that you fry the chicken in into the crock pot...yuck!), using lower fat sour cream, and adding real Asian flavors to it. Cook time is crock pot time.
- 3 lbs chicken parts (can be thighs, legs, anything you prefer, bone-in and skin-on)
- 1⁄4 cup flour
- 3 tablespoons sesame seeds
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄4 cup peanut oil or 1⁄4 cup vegetable oil
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup dry white wine or 1⁄2 cup water or 1⁄2 cup chicken broth
- 1 teaspoon chicken bouillon granule (optional with water and wine, not needed if using broth)
- 1⁄4 cup cornstarch
- 1⁄4 cup water
- 1 cup orange juice
- 1⁄4-1⁄2 cup granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon hot Chinese chili paste (the kind with no oil) or 1 teaspoon red pepper flakes, to taste
- 2 teaspoons ground ginger
- 2 teaspoons soy sauce
- 1 orange, peeled, seeded and chopped
- 1⁄2 cup toasted sliced almonds or 1⁄2 cup slivered almonds
- 1 cup low-fat sour cream
- Rinse chicken and pat dry.
- Mix sesame seeds, salt, flour, and pepper together in a bowl.
- Coat the chicken with the flour mixture and fry in the oil in a large skillet, preheated over medium-high heat.
- Fry to a nice, medium brown color on both sides.
- Depending on how much chicken you have, you may need to do more than one batch.
- Don't overcrowd the chicken!
- Remove the chicken from the skillet and place in a large crock pot.
- In a small bowl, mix onion, wine (or water or broth), and bouillon granules (if using).
- Pour over the chicken.
- Cover and cook on low, 5-7 hours.
- Turn on high and remove chicken, keeping all the juices in the crock pot.
- OPTIONAL- at this point I like to heat the oven to 450 and 'crisp up' the chicken a bit on a cookie sheet, be extra careful not to burn it if you decide to do this!
- Whisk the cornstarch and water together and stir into the crock pot.
- Then add all of the sauce ingredients EXCEPT sour cream and cook on high for 15 minutes.
- Whisk the sour cream into the sauce and serve over rice (I like Basmati) with the chicken.