Prep 15 mins
Cook 8 hrs
Tender moist chicken is flavored with orange and spices. A terrific crock pot chilly weather dish that I adapted from the Fix it and Forget it cookbook. Flavorful and filling!
- 3 sweet potatoes, peeled and sliced
- 3 -4 boneless skinless chicken breasts, quartered
- 2⁄3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 dash pepper
- 1 dash garlic powder
- 1 (10 3/4 ounce) can cream of chicken soup or 1 (10 3/4 ounce) can mushroom soup
- 1 (12 ounce) packagefresh sliced mushrooms
- 1⁄2 cup orange juice
- 2 teaspoons brown sugar
- 3 tablespoons flour
- Place sweet potatoes in bottom of a med to large slow cooker.
- Rinse chicken breasts and pat dry.
- Combine flour, salt, nutmeg, cinnamon, pepper and garlic powder.
- Thoroughly coat chicken in flour mixture.
- Place chicken on top of sweet potatoes.
- Combine soup with remaining ingredients.
- Stir well and pour over chicken and sweet potatoes.
- Cover and cook on low 8-10 hours or high 4 hours.
I was hopeful reading other reviews and was very careful with this recipe. However, I followed the recipe step by step and it wasn't good. Turned out like a lot of others. Sweet Potatoes turned to mush - my daugher said it reminded her of baby food - runny/mushy like soup. The chicken was totally dried out. The sauce had a very interesting taste, kids and DH didn't like (and they aren't picky). I must have done something wrong.
If you look at this recipe and think it sounds weird that's because it is. The only true flavor to the chicken is the cinnamon and nutmeg which isn't appetizing. The sweet potatoes do havve a good flavor but the creamy texture of the sauce ruined them.
This dish was somewhat of a disappointment. The sweet potatoes at the bottom after 8 hours on low turn to pure mush. There is no cohesion here either and the flavors just don't quite match together. We really wanted this to work..it sounds nice, other reviews were good, it smelled wonder while cooking..but it didn't work out. Perhaps the sweet potatoes should have been layered (and maybe all the ingredients).