Prep 20 mins
Cook 4 hrs
After not finding anything in terms of crock pot orange chicken on Zaar, I found this recipe at About.com, then made a couple of changes to suit my family's appetite and tastes. This produces a very strong, tangy sauce, which may be to some people's tastes and not quite to others. Give it a whirl and see if it's for you!
- 8 boneless skinless chicken breasts (defrosted)
- 1⁄3 cup all-purpose flour
- 2⁄3 cup orange marmalade
- 1⁄2 cup mustard
- 1⁄2 cup ketchup
- 2 tablespoons rice wine vinegar (I used regular wine vinegar)
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon finely grated fresh ginger (I used ground ginger from a jar)
- 3 chopped scallions (I used chives)
- Cut chicken breasts into bite-size pieces. Place in the slow cooker.
- Sprinkle flour over chicken and toss well to coat.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together remaining ingredients. Pour over chicken. Cook on high 4 hours or low 6-8 hours.
- Serve with rice.
Thanks for sharing this tasty recipe! I've been looking for a sweet & sour or orange chicken crock pot recipe for quite awhile and was delighted to find this one. I did have to make a couple of changes, due to my own lack of planning. First, I forgot to thaw the chicken breasts, so I was not able to cut up the meat into pieces. I shook the frozen breasts with the flour, and it worked all right. Next, I didn't have any yellow mustard, so I used dijon (which worked fine). Otherwise, I followed the recipe as written. My husband and I both loved the flavor, which is very orangey. I served this with brown rice and whole green beans. Wonderful! Thanks again for sharing!
Now this dish is right up my alley. This chicken is outstanding! I absolutely love the flavors in this. I did use the rice vinegar and the grated fresh ginger but omitted the scallions. I did add a sprinkle of crushed red pepper on my serving. It's a HIT! Made for Spring PAC 09.
Cloyingly sweet with no spice. No one liked it and broke out the leftover pizza and ate that instead.